Brief Church History
Use the arrows to go through our history's timeline
The first church was a “Bush Harbor”. Reverend Nash Horton became the first pastor and served until he became ill. Reverend Berry Hanks succeeded Reverend Horton. Reverend Jack Jeffries was elected following Reverend Hanks’retirement and served until 1883.
In 1883, Reverend Joseph Maybry was installed and served fourteen years. Under his able leadership, the small crude frame building was demolished and a new structure was begun.
Reverend L. A. Ruffin was elected and served for eight years.
Reverend J. W. Hinnant became leader and served for 10 years.
1907 Reverend Joseph Mabry was reelected and served for four years.
Reverend J. A. Henderson was elected and served for forty-nine consecutive years. Under his leadership, the church expanded both in its spiritual mission of outreach to the community and its physical structure. The external brick structure was veneered; pews and electric lights were also installed and the addition of a choir room, basement, and pastor’s study were added.
The first trustees were elected.
Reverend Jasper Johnson was elected and served one year.
Reverend Leon White was elected and served eleven years. The project to renovate the sanctuary in order to annex classrooms and a fellowship hall was started. The suffix “United Church of Christ” was added to the name of Christian Chapel.
Reverend Eli Burton was elected and served one year.
The Reverend Howard Cunningham was elected. Under his leadership the fellowship hall and sanctuary renovations were completed.
The first Deaconess Board was organized.
Reverend J. Richard Woodward served as pastor for two years.
Reverend Woodward resigned and Pastor, David A. Dolby was elected. During his leadership, the first female deacons were added to the Deacon Board. Many church renovations were made and expansion of services; services were extended to each Sunday morning; Bible Study and Praise Service were added; D. A. Dolby Mass choir organized; the historical library was added. Community outreach in the form of weekly religious broadcast over radio stations in Raleigh and Sanford; our morning worship service was intermittently broadcast live over radio station WLLE.
In the summer of 2003, we hit a bump in the road. God in His infinite love, grace and mercy saw us through. We reaffirmed our pastor and became an independent non-denominational church by withdrawing from the United Church of Christ.
Church renovations began and worship services were held at Apex Middle School campus. Special events, programs, rehearsals and funerals were held at our neighboring church, Mt. Zion Baptist Church who generously opened their doors when there was a need.
Our newly renovated church was completed and we returned with thankful hearts and renewed spirits. Our new name reflected our new spirit “Greater Christian Chapel Church”.
Reverend Dolby retired after 33 years of faithful and dedicated service. Reverend Dr. Henry Wells served as Interim Pastor from May 2015 to December 2016.
In January 2017, Reverend Daphine Richardson was elected as Sr. Pastor and served one year. After her resignation, Reverend Dr. Henry Wells was elected to serve as Interim pastor again.
Greater Christian Chapel Church’s mission is to be a bible believing and teaching church. We want to provide Christian fellowship to all while proclaiming God’s message of salvation to a lost and dying world. We are a place of Worship and Praise that strives to be a beacon to the community through outreach and evangelism so that diverse groups will readily receive and apply the WORD OF GOD to their own lives for conversion and spiritual growth. Below are some of the church objectives.
- To help each member understand and reaffirm his/her conversion experience and their commitment: to Christ and the Church.
- To help each member understand and accept the privileges and responsibilities of church membership.
- To help each new member become a growing participant in the life and ministry of the Christian fellowship.
Rev. Wells earned a Bachelor of Religious Education from Heritage Bible College (1988), a Master of Christian Education from Apex School of Theology (2001), the Doctorate in Religious Education from Andersonville Theological Seminary (2003) He also received an Honorary Doctorate of Theology from Apex School of Theology (2004).
Stephanie T. Moore is the daughter of the Reverend and Mrs. Johnny Moore. She has one sister Shonek, who is married to Shelton L. Weaver. She is the proud Aunt of two wonderful nephews Sakori and Shamari.She is a graduate of Campbell University, which is located in Buies Creek, North Carolina. Stephanie has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy of Religion.
Church Council President